- Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, employers may hire:
- To qualify for the Temporary Foreign Worker program
- To work in Canada under this program
Temporary foreign workers through the following streams:
- High-Wage Workers
- Low-Wage Workers
- Global Talent Stream
- Foreign Agricultural Workers
- In-Home Caregivers
- Foreign Academics
Employers who wish to hire a worker through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program must obtain an LMIA demonstrating that they were unable to find a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident for the position.
- Have a job offer from a Canadian employer. In most cases, the employer who has offered a temporary position will need to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment to get permission from the Canadian government to hire a foreign worker.
- Not be inadmissible to Canada for any reason. Individuals can be inadmissible to Canada for criminal, medical, or financial reasons.
Individuals must apply for a work permit from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The work permit under this program is valid for a set period of time (maximum 1 year) and will be tied to a particular employer.