- Spousal Sponsorship Eligibility
- Income Requirement
You can sponsor your spouse, partner, or dependent child if:
- You are at least 18 years old
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
- If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the persons you want to
sponsor become permanent residents.
- You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada.
- You are able to prove that you’re not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
- You can provide for the basic needs of any persons you want to sponsor
You only need to show that you have enough money to meet the income requirements if:
- you are sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
- you are sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.