Federal Skilled Trades Program Canada

Canadian Immigration and Recruitment Consultants in Surrey, BC

The Government of Canada introduced this program in response to a lack of experienced laborers in numerous skilled trade occupations. To qualify for an occupation that is considered to be a skilled trade, candidates need to verify they meet all criteria for this program. Candidates would then be able to apply through the Express Entry method stating that this program (Federal Skilled Trades Program Canada) is their program of choice.

Minimum Requirements:

  • Experience Requirement:
  • Skilled Work Experience:
  • Education Requirement:
  • Language Requirement:
  • Proof of Funds
  • Have at least 2 years of full-time experience in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply
  • Some job requirements are set out in NOC, which every candidate should meet.
  • Have a valid job offer of full-time employment or
  • Certificate of qualification in a skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial, or federal authority.

Skilled work experience should be under one of the following NOC categories:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

For more information, please visit the National Occupation Classification Website.

In the Canadian experience class program, there is no mandatory education requirement. However, if you are looking to improve your ranking in the express entry pool, these are two options:

  • If you have a degree from a Canadian school, you can get this point for a certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian Secondary School or Post-Secondary Institute.


  • If you have an international degree, you can get points for a completed educational credential. You can do this by proving the equivalency of your international degree to a Canadian Degree, Certificate, or Diploma from a Canadian Secondary School or Post-Secondary institute. You will need to provide an ECA report for immigration purposes.

The current requirements are:

A minimum score of  

  • CLB 5 for speaking and listening
  • CLB 4 for reading and writing

You can take either of these approved language assessments for testing English

Your language test results are valid for 2 years and must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residency.

It is required to show that you have enough cash for you and your family to settle in Canada. The exceptions are if you:

  • are at present ready to legitimately work in Canada and
  • have a valid offer of employment from a business in Canada


Quick Inquiry

Quick Inquiry Form

✓ Valid