IRCC announces two new streams to permanent residency for Hongkongers

Author: Swift Connect |

IRCC announces two new streams to permanent residency for Hongkongers.jpg

Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino announced two (2) new immigration programs, on June 8, offering permanent residence to eligible Hongkongers in Canada who are workers or recent graduates.

The programs are now open for applications. Mendicino had originally announced these measures in November 2020 and launched work permit options in February 2021.

Eligible candidates must have a valid temporary resident status in Canada at the time of their application and when their permanent residence status is granted. Candidates must also meet the specified education, work, language, and eligibility requirements. Candidates are subject to Canada’s regular immigration application and screening processes and admissibility requirements.

Candidates must confirm their Hong Kong residency and need to hold a valid passport issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China or by the United Kingdom to a British National (Overseas) from Hong Kong.

Stream A is for recent graduates from an eligible post-secondary institution in Canada. To be eligible, candidates need a post-secondary credential from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI), completed in the last three (3) years. Candidates must have done at least half of the program in Canada, either in-person or online. Those who earned diplomas must have completed a program that was at least two (2) years in length to be eligible. Graduate or post-graduate credentials must be at least one (1) year long, with the previous credential earned no more than five (5) years before the start of the program.

Stream B is for candidates who have at least one (1) year of full-time work experience, or 1,560 hours or part-time work in Canada within the past three (3) years. In addition, candidates need to have completed an eligible post-secondary credential within the last five (5) years. Eligible post-secondary programs are the same as Stream A, except that they do not need to have been done in Canada.

To be granted permanent residence, candidates must intend to live in Canada, except Quebec. Hong Kong residents who are living in Quebec can consult the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) to learn about immigration pathways available to them.

The initiative to facilitate immigration for Hongkongers is a response to China’s imposition of the National Security Law, when led to a clampdown on freedom of expression.