Applications are open for Quebec’s collective sponsorship program for refugees abroad
Quebec immigration has opened applications for its collective sponsorship program for refugees abroad. The application window lasts four (4) weeks until May 5th.
In the first intake period, only groups of two (2) to five (5) Quebec citizens or permanent residents can sponsor these refugees.
On November 1st last year, organizations were prevented from sponsoring refugees under the program for one (1) year.
The program, Programme des personnes réfugiées a l’étranger (Parrainage collectif), will see the Ministry of Immigration, Francisation and Integration (MIFI) hold a draw if the number of applicants received by the May 5th cut-off date is greater than 750.
Under the program, each sponsorship group can send a maximum of two (2) applications but a Quebec citizen or permanent resident cannot be part of more than one (1) sponsorship group.
Sponsors pledge themselves to provide for the basic needs of the candidate and his or her family for twelve (12) months.
Some of the responsibilities of sponsors include providing for:
- costs of getting settled in Quebec – housing, furnishings, travel, food, and clothing;
- expenses for health care, health services, and drugs not covered or reimbursed by a public insurance plan; and
- costs related to helping the candidate enter the job market or look for a job that is not covered by a government program.
The sponsor also must offer the candidate and their family help with integration, including:
- assistance in finding a job;
- help with school registration;
- support in accessing public services; and
- support for participation in community life.
To qualify, the candidate must be a convention refugee or a member of the Country of Asylum Class.